Moving Day For Chickens!

Over Memorial Day Weekend things were busy around here! The chicken ladies were getting their new home built. I went out to the yard with my husband all set to get to work and help. While I was in the middle of cutting wire, our neighbor and friend showed up. So, it was with much (NOT REALLY) grief, I resigned my post and turned instead to take care of gravel and weed pulling. I left it to the gentlemen to set up the coop.
My husband worked hard through the weekend and by Monday night our scraggly little teen chickens were in their new home.


So here is a photo of the coop all up and done! We still need to put a coat of paint on, cut another window and add our nesting boxes. Thankfully chickens or rather, pullets will not really lay till around 24 weeks or so. Ours are now 4 weeks old so we have a bit of wiggle room.

 I was smiling as I took these photos this morning and wished my little chickies a good morning. If you had asked me 5 years ago if I would be a chicken owner I would have put up my hand and scoffed.  I already feel so much like an official chicken owner that I could not imagine us not doing this.
 Right now our girls are too little for the roost that was put in but, it is there ready for use! They still need to use their lamp for warmth because they are not fully feathered so it has its place here for a while yet.

 It is amazing to me how chicks can be so adorable but, then they turn into little scraggle-monsters. As they lose their fluff and start to feather up you will see large bald patches and the rough pieces of feather starting to form.
It is a truly amazing process though, unattractive as well.

Our kids are still equally involved in the raising of these guys. Our son, was on the building site most of the day Saturday and worked with Dad as only a 5 year old can. Each morning both kids wake up eager to open the window, and check the chickens. It is a fun project to do as a family!

There are several home projects we have on our plates for the future.
These include -




1. Growing our compost pile
2. Putting in the garden
3. Raising our own pigs
4. Learning to can

We are looking to become for independent of some of our conveniences and connect with our land, food and home. 

 

No comments: